MLK Community Healthcare is excited to offer the Recipe for Health food program. It is based on the idea that food is an important medicine that can help heal the body. The program includes a weekly supply of fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as tools and tips that help you learn how to eat to improve your health. When you are part of the program, our team is here to support you as you develop healthy eating habits that you can use for the rest of your life.
Who can join?
When you meet with your doctor from the MLK Community Medical Group, and discuss your health issues, your doctor may recommend that you participate in the Recipe for Health food program. One of our clinic staff will then ask you some questions to see if you are a good fit for the program.
You can join the program if you are 18 years old or older and have one of the following chronic medical conditions
- Prediabetes (having higher blood sugar than normal)
- Diabetes (high blood sugar)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Heart disease
- Obesity (body mass index of 30 and above) and/or
- have a medical condition that needs a special diet and/or are not generally eating healthful foods