Man Up! Take charge of your health
Doctors vs. Barbers Basketball Game: Who won?
Our wonderful doctors joined South LA barbers to shine a spotlight on the serious issue of men's health via a lighthearted game of hoops on Sunday, October 8th. The annual “Doctors vs. Barbers” basketball game is hosted by ManUp!, MLKCH’s men’s health barbershop program. Who won? Well, although our doctors battled valiantly, the barbers ultimately crushed it 74 to 33. Our MLKCH doctors were gracious in defeat and a good time - as well as a bunch of informative health screenings - was had by all. Thank you barbers and doctors for shooting hoops for the cause of better men's health!
Special thanks to BMO for supporting this event.
Be a health role model
As men, we are often called upon to be strong. But how can we be strong for our families, our friends and our community if we’re not healthy? The answer is simple: We need to step up and be role models for our loved ones. They are counting on us to:
- Get a yearly checkup.
- Get age-appropriate screenings.
- Take our medications as directed by our doctor.
- Practice healthy habits.
The good news: MLK Community Healthcare makes it easy for you to do all of these things and more.
3 easy steps you can take right now
1. Find a primary care doctor.
See all of our doctors here and call us at (424) 529-6755 to schedule your appointment. You can even talk to your doctor without even having to leave the house.
2. Attend the next MANUP! event at a barbershop near you.
All men should know their basic health numbers: blood pressure, sugar and risk of certain kinds of cancers that affect men. Through ManUp!, our free barbershop health screening program, you can get a quick, painless health screening. We’ll write your numbers down for you on a screening card so you can monitor your progress the next time you come for a cut. Check out our calendar of upcoming events.
3. Make a small change
Small changes can make a big difference in your health and quality of life! Here are some tips on how you can get on the fast track to better health:
- Limit alcohol to two drinks a day.
- Take a 15-minute walk, 6 days a week.
- Try a simple, healthy and delicious recipe from our Recipe for Health program: mlkch.org/recipes
- Replace soda (pop) with water, sparkling water, or low-fat milk.
- Choose baked chicken instead of fried or barbecued.
- Every day eat one green vegetable. (Such as spinach, kale, collards, chard, broccoli, brussels sprouts, lettuce.)
- Quit smoking. We can help through our smoking cessation support group.
- Use lemon to salt your food.
* As Man Up events are scheduled, they will be added to the schedule links. If you do not see any scheduled events, please check back as we regularly add events to the schedule. In the meantime, download our Men’s Health brochure to learn about your health via the pdf download link above or don’t wait, call us at (424) 529-6755 to make an appointment to take charge of your health.